The Excelsior Board of Directors is pleased that you are looking into Excelsior for your student. Whether this is your first time attending Excelsior or if you are returning, we would like to share some important information with you.
Excelsior has adopted the Apostle’s Creed as our statement of faith:
“I believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth; and in Jesus Christ His only Son our Lord; Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost; born of the Virgin Mary; suffered under Pontius Pilate; was crucified, dead, and buried; He descended into hell. The third day He rose again from the dead; He ascended into heaven and sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from thence He shall come to judge the quick and the dead. I believe in the Holy Ghost; the holy catholic church, the communion of saints; the forgiveness of sins; the resurrection of the body; and the life everlasting.”
What is Excelsior?
Excelsior is a family-oriented resource used in tandem with homeschooling. We offer classes from four year olds to high school seniors. It is a resource center, not a school. The primary teaching responsibility of each student remains with the parent. However, we do not offer only strong academic instruction, we also have times for your student to build relationships inside and outside of the classroom.
The Academy classes, ages 4-13, will develop an effective Christian worldview as we study literature, history, and the fine arts based on various time periods.
All of our High School offerings are college-preparatory classes with honors options-which must be declared at the beginning of the school year. With honors, they will have papers, projects, and presentations (as decided by their teacher) graded on a more strenuous scale in addition to their regular class-load. Students who declare honors will pay an extra $30 fee directly to the teacher due to extra planning and grading on their part. High school students are able to take part in monthly socials, occasional service projects, and an annual spring formal.
Excelsior’s Mission Statement:
Our goal as Christian parents is to raise children who love Christ and know how to apply the principles of their faith to the world around them. We must intentionally and faithfully pass on to our children the mission of reclaiming and redeeming the culture for the glory of God. This dominion mandate was first given in Genesis and is reconfirmed by Paul as he tells us we must learn “to bring every thought captive to Christ.” We believe, and must affirm daily to our children, that all things (from the physical to the academic) hold together in Christ.
Excelsior is not a third option support group and satisfies no requirements for legal accountability. You must register with either your school district, SCAIHS, or a third option support group by the 10th day of your district’s start date to legally home school.
A mandatory Orientation will be held each year on the Tuesday prior to classes beginning. The purpose of this meeting is to introduce the teachers, review policies, and verify that registration/tuition fees have been paid. At this time, parents and students will be able to pick up their schedule for the upcoming school year.
We look forward to meeting you and your student and forming a relationship with everyone as the school year progresses.
Student Code of Conduct
Our goal is to pursue excellence in all that we do so that our Lord may be glorified.
In order to maintain a productive, educational environment the instructors and staff will require proper and respectful behavior from all students.
- Students should treat instructors and staff with respect by the way they respond and react to those in authority. Students should not talk or interrupt the teacher while they are talking.
- Students should treat other students with respect- keep hands and feet to themselves, not talking while someone else is talking, and speaking kindly to and of others. Bullying will NOT be tolerated.
- Students should treat the property of the church of First Baptist with respect by only staying in assigned areas and not crossing boundaries set by those in authority. No rough play will be permitted as it poses a safety hazard. Students/parents must replace anything they waste, damage, or break.
- Only water bottles are allowed in the classrooms.
- Students must clean up after themselves after each class. Trash, food, etc. should be thrown away after lunch without being asked.
- Students may not bring any electronic devices or toys to school unless asked for by their instructor.
- For high school students who have cell phones, they must be put up and away during class time. If they are seen with them out, the phone will be taken up and their parents will be notified. If parents or students need to contact the other, we would ask that they use the Excelsior phone, which is: (803) 743-3118.
- Students are not allowed to have visitors. If you are not enrolled at Excelsior, you are not permitted on campus.
First offense-the student will be reminded by their teacher on how to behave. If asked multiple times throughout the class period, the student will speak with the directors and the parent will be notified via email.
Second offense- a phone call will be made to the parents about the unacceptable behavior.
Third offense- a meeting will be made with the parent, teacher, and directors where further action will be discussed such as expulsion from the class in question. If this is to occur, parents will still be required to pay for the class according to their financial commitment made previously at the beginning of the year.
Excelsior Dress Code
Our desire is to bring glory to God in everything we say, think, and do- including our appearance! We have set a dress code with a goal that our appearance will not be a distraction to others during our class time at Excelsior.
- Guys, no shorts are allowed above the knee
- Girls may wear skirts and dresses, but they also must be knee-length or below.
- Capri pants may be worn, but NO SHORTS are allowed for girls!
- Clothing that does not fit properly is prohibited (too tight or too loose.) Pants may not be too large that they drag on the floor. They must be pulled up properly so that no underwear is visible.
- No tank tops, shirts with spaghetti straps, or halter tops allowed. ABSOLUTLEY no shirts will be allowed that show cleavage and/or midriff.
- No clothing that represents offensive lifestyle or messages is allowed.
- No hats are to be worn during class.
- No pocket-knives, weapons, etc. are allowed on the campus of Excelsior.
EXCELSIOR WILL NOTIFY THE PARENT OF ANY STUDENT WHO IS INAPPROPRIATELY DRESSED. ALL TEACHERS KNOW AND WILL BE ADHERING TO THIS POLICY. PARENTS MAY THEN BRING APPROPRIATE CLOTHING OR DIRECT THE STUDENT, IF THEY ARE DRIVING, TO RETURN HOME…OR, IF NEITHER OF THESE ARE POSSIBLE, THEY WILL BE GIVEN A CHOIR ROBE THAT THEY WILL BE REQUIRED TO WEAR THE REST OF THE DAY UNTIL PICKED UP/DRIVING HOME.
Excelsior Fees & Tuition
- $100 per student
*Please note that Students that are registering for core classes are not required to pay an additional registration fee to register for elective courses or the Thursday program.
Academy Tuition (K4 – 8th Grade)
- Academy Tuesday Core Tuition: $640 (1st child), each additional child $620 each
- Academy Elective Tuition: $350 per class
- Academy Thursday Program: $540
- Science classes will have an extra $30 lab fee
*Please note that Students that are registering for core classes are not required to pay an additional registration fee to register for elective courses.
High School Tuition:
- High School (1 day/week classes): $410 per class
- University Model (2 days/week, 3 credit hours): $850
- Honors fee: $30 per class taken with Honors component (paid directly to teacher)
- High School science classes will have an extra $50 lab fee (subject to change based on which class your student is enrolled)
Excelsior’s Financial Policy:
We seek to be good stewards of that which has been entrusted to us. In order for us to plan accurately, we ask each family to view their involvement as a commitment for the entire year. We base the budget on this assumption, and even one or two withdrawals can have a negative effect.
Exceptions to this policy are the following only:
- Death of a parent
- Loss of a job
- Moving out of state
No transfers of tuition to other families are allowed.
Excelsior Education Expectations
All students must come prepared for class, which includes:
- Books, pencils, and other supplies needed for class
- Homework assignments given by the teacher are meant to give the student a full week’s worth of study material for that subject. The parents should review the assigned work and assist the student if needed. Parents should also help set a daily study schedule so that the work will be completed for the following class.
- All students should complete and turn in all assignments on time. If a student misses class due to sickness or traveling, the student is responsible for contacting their teacher to receive copies of course notes or any hand-outs that were given.
- Parents have the primary responsibility of the education of their student. Parents must take an active role in making sure that their student’s work is completed and the subject matter is understood and mastered.
Grading Scale and Report Cards
Academy K4-3rd grade, will be given two semester evaluation forms. These will range from unsatisfactory to excellent and will have notes from their teacher included.
Academy 4th-8th grade, will be given two semester grade reports along with any comments from their teacher.
High school students will be given two semester report cards.
The grading scale being enforced is the same used by SCAIHS:
Students must have a final grade of a C or higher before being allowed to enroll in a higher course.
Foreign language students must have a final grade of a B or higher before being allowed to enroll in the next level of the language they are learning.
Excelsior Weather and Delay Policies
As hazardous weather conditions appear, Excelsior will be following the same schedule as Lexington School District 2. All reports and announcements will be sent via email. For this reason, all parents are to keep updated email addresses with the administrator at all times and are asked to check emails frequently for notifications.
Although Excelsior follows the Lexington School District 2 weather delays, we do NOT follow their schedule for school holidays.