Excelsior’s Mission Statement
Our goal as Christian parents is to raise children who love Christ and know how to apply the principles of their faith to the world around them. We must intentionally and faithfully pass on to our children the mission of reclaiming and redeeming the culture for the glory of God. This dominion mandate was first given in Genesis and is reconfirmed by Paul as he tells us we must learn “to bring every thought captive to Christ.” We believe, and must affirm daily to our children, that all things (from the physical to the academic) hold together in Christ.
Statement of Faith
We believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth; and in Jesus Christ His only Son our Lord; Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost; born of the Virgin Mary; suffered under Pontius Pilate; was crucified, dead, and buried; He descended into hell. On the third day, He rose again from the dead; He ascended into heaven and sits on the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from thence He shall come to judge the quick and the dead. We believe in the Holy Ghost; the holy apostolic church, the communion of saints; the forgiveness of sins; the resurrection of the body; and the life everlasting.
Excelsior Academy does not discriminate based on race, color, sex, religion, national or ethnic origin in the admission of students, nor the administration of our educational policies and programs.
Student Code of Conduct
Our goal is to pursue excellence in all that we do so that our Lord may be glorified. To maintain a productive, educational environment, the instructors and staff will require proper and respectful behavior from all students.
- Students should treat instructors and staff with respect by the way they respond and react to those in authority. Students should not talk or interrupt the teacher while they are talking.
- Students should treat other students with respect- keep hands and feet to themselves, not talk while someone else is talking, and speak kindly to others. Bullying will NOT be tolerated.
- Students should treat the property of New Heights with respect by only staying in assigned areas and not crossing boundaries set by those in authority. No rough play will be permitted as it poses a safety hazard. Students/parents must replace anything they waste, damage, or break.
- Only water bottles are allowed in the classrooms.
- Students must clean up after themselves after each class. Trash, food, etc., should be thrown away after lunch without being asked.
- Students may not bring any electronic devices or toys to school unless asked for by their instructor.
- For high school students who have cell phones, must be put up and away during class time. If they are seen with them out, the phone will be taken up and their parents will be notified. If parents or students need to contact the other, we would ask that they use the Excelsior phone: (803) 743-3118.
- Students are not allowed to have visitors. If you are not enrolled at Excelsior, you are not permitted on campus.
Please do not bring your child to school sick. If your child is complaining of not feeling well or is exhibiting symptoms such as a sore throat or stomach, and/or is vomiting, having diarrhea, or is running a temperature of 100.0 degrees or above without medication, they are not allowed to attend school that week. If your child has had any of these symptoms within the last 48 hours, please do not bring them to school. You know your child better than anyone, so please be proactive in watching for signs and symptoms of sickness. If we see a child who does not look like they are feeling well, we reserve the right to call a parent to come to pick them up. Although we hope that everyone stays as well as possible, we still will abide by our motto: “If in doubt, keep them out!”
First offense, the student will be reminded by their teacher on how to behave. If asked multiple times throughout the class period, the student will speak with the directors, and the parent will be notified via email.
Second offense- a phone call will be made to the parents about the unacceptable behavior.
Third offense- a meeting will be made with the parent, teacher, and directors where further action will be discussed, such as expulsion from the class in question. If this is to occur, parents will still be required to pay for the class according to their financial commitment made previously at the beginning of the year.
Excelsior Dress Code
We desire to bring glory to God in everything we say, think, and do- including our appearance! We have set a dress code with a goal that our appearance will not be a distraction to others during our class time at Excelsior.
- Skirts, dresses, and shorts may be worn if the length is past the fingers’ tips.
- Clothing that does not fit properly is prohibited (too tight or too loose.) Pants may not be too large that they drag on the floor. They must be pulled up properly so that no underwear is visible.
- No tank tops, shirts with spaghetti straps, or halter tops allowed. ABSOLUTELY no shirts will be allowed that show cleavage and/or midriff.
- No clothing that represents offensive lifestyle or messages is allowed.
- No hats are to be worn during class.
- No pocket-knives, weapons, etc., are allowed on the campus of Excelsior.
Excelsior will notify parents of any inappropriately dressed student and will require parents to pick up their student.
All registration fees are required to be paid when you submit your application. You will receive your tuition bill by July 1, 2021. All tuition must be paid in full by Orientation on August 19, 2021, by check, credit card (fees applied), or via a tuition installment plan. Our tuition installment plan divides your tuition bill into 10 (ten) equal installments. To participate in the tuition installment plan, we will need the first payment via check at Orientation on August 19, 2021, along with a signed ACH Debit Authorization form provided by us. Installment payments will be debited from your account on the 1st business day of each month, beginning in September, and will end after your last installment in May. There is a $1.00 installment fee added to your payment each month.
We seek to be good stewards of that which has been entrusted to us. Therefore, to plan accurately, we ask each family to view their involvement as a commitment for the entire year. No refunds will be given, and all tuition must be paid in full except for the following reasons:
- Death of a parent
- Loss of a job
- Moving out of state
No transfers of tuition to other families are allowed.
Excelsior Education Expectations
All students must come prepared for class, which includes:
- Books, pencils, and other supplies needed for class
- Homework assignments given by the teacher are meant to give the student a full week’s worth of study material for that subject. The parents should review the assigned work and assist the student if needed. Parents should also help set a daily study schedule so that the work will be completed for the following class.
- All students should complete and turn in all assignments on time. If a student misses class due to sickness or traveling, the student is responsible for contacting their teacher to receive copies, of course, notes, or any hand-outs that were given.
- Parents have the primary responsibility for the education of their students. Parents must take an active role in ensuring that their student’s work is completed and the subject matter is understood and mastered.
Grading Scale and Report Cards
Academy classes, ages 4 to 8, will be given two-semester evaluation forms. These will range from unsatisfactory to excellent and will have notes from their teacher included.
Academy classes, ages 9 to 13, will be given two-semester grade reports along with any comments from their teacher.
High school students will be given two-semester report cards. The grading scale being enforced is the same used by SCAIHS (https://www.scaihs.org/)
Students must have a final grade of a C or higher before enrolling in a higher course.
Weather Delays & Cancellations
As hazardous weather conditions appear, Excelsior will look to Lexington Richland School District 5 for guidance on delays and cancellations. All announcements will be sent via email, so all parents need to notify us of any changes to your email address. When weather conditions are suspect, parents need to check emails frequently for notifications. Although Excelsior looks to Lexington Richland School District 5 for guidance on weather-related delays and closures, we may at our discretion open or close. Please note we do NOT follow Lexington Richland School District 5’s schedule for school holidays.